5 Things I Learned This Summer

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Good afternoon, friends! It's a lovely rainy Wednesday and my last day of summer. Whoa. Time has flashed before my eyes. The end of my junior year seriously feels like yesterday, but at the same time, I feel like such a different person than I was when I walked out of school that last day. I think it's crazy how much you can learn from even the smallest of experiences and how those tiny moments can so distinctly shape you into who you are. It is in times like these--seasons of change and new beginnings-- where I look back and am SO SO thankful for everything that has happened. As I look back on the past couple months, I realize that I've learned a lot. I've learned from new experiences, learned from old ones, and definitely learned from my mistakes. Today I want to take you all through my little summer reflection and share with you five things that I learned this summer.

^^ a little senior pic preview;)


 No. 1 Let loose, have some FUN!
Sometimes I think I think too much (don't we all though?!). There's always something on my mind. I'm always thinking about all the things I need/want to do. I am a perpetual mental list-maker! But let me tell ya something friends... don't do that! Get out of your head. Live in the moment. Let go of all the little things that are sifting through your mind. Enjoy the people around you. I definitely feel like I have acknowledged the joys of really living in the moment this summer. Life is meant to be enjoyed friends, so step out of yourself an enjoy it!

No. 2 Unplug... it's actually really nice!
With snapchat, texting, and today's other huge social media platforms, it is so easy to get wrapped up in conversations through our phones. Checking our phones to see if we got a message or snapchat from one of our friends has become instinctual. I was (and am still sometimes) guilty of being way too plugged in. It's so easy to do. This summer I was required to be without a phone for a period of ten days and later another period of five days. During these times, I definitely felt more present in everything I was doing. I realized that the conversations I would have were so much more genuine and real because I wasn't half distracted, anticipating a text or snap to pop up on my phone. When I got back home, I purposely tried to distance myself from my phone. It's so nice, you guys. It's like the sun is always shining. I definitely learned the importance of being more intentional with everything I do. 
Side Note/Story: Don't forget to bring your phone with you if you need it. The other day I went to the dentist and I didn't bring my phone because I didn't want to be tempted to aimlessly scroll through my insta feed or snapchat while waiting, so I left my phone at home. The dentist ended up needing permission from mi madre to take wisdom teeth X-rays... so when he asked if I could call my mom... I was kinda stuck. That being said, don't forget to bring your phone with you to all your important appointments. lol.

No. 3 Be honest with yourself.
I think it is easy to be dishonest with ourselves, to pretend like something is good for us when actually it just adds unnecessary stress. It is so important to know and understand your limits. Sometimes we just add things into our lives that we don't need. We take on too much and we can't handle it. The good thing is that we can always change and learn from those mistakes. Life is all about learning: learning about ourselves and what is good for us. It is so so important to do what is best for you. The desire to please others and make them happy out of fear of disappointing them is very real, but sometimes we have to take a step back, and be honest with what is best for us. This isn't being selfish. We care the best for others when we are taking good care of ourselves.

No.4 Love easily and openly.
This summer I traveled to Guatemala on a mission trip with my church. One of the biggest things I learned through this experience is the importance of openly loving others. One thing that really stuck out to me while I was there was how easily the people loved us and loved one another. This got me thinking of how we make quick judgements that keep us from truly expressing love for those around us. Judgments put up walls between us and the thing or person we are making assumptions about. We make these judgments without even realizing it! Seeing this easy and open love in Guatemala was such a good reminder that we must let ourselves love. Life is so lovely if we see the good in everything and everyone.

No. 5 Let go of expectations. 
I actually think I also wrote about this in a blogpost a while back (y'all can read it here), but I think this concept is hard to fully follow. This summer, I once again was reminded of the importance of letting go of expectations. It is so easy set expectations because it gives us something to look forward to. In all reality, our expectations can be unrealistic and they can lead to disappointment. This summer I realized the importance of going into situations with an open mind. Anything can happen at any time. That's the beautiful thing about life, you guys. Wow. It is so humbling to think about how faithful our Heavenly Father is. The right things will happen at the right time. It's our job to remember that our lives are in His hands. He is carrying out his plans. In the meantime, we can trust in the fact that His ways are higher than ours. 

______________

If y'all are approaching a new school year, I encourage you to reflect on the past couple months of summer. For me, I have a hard time letting things go when they are so good. That is definitely the case for this summer. I look back at every little adventure and think about how those moments were so unique to the chapter of life that I'm in. I think that I'll never get a moment like that again. But when I think a little deeper, I am reminded that this is why I must express immense gratitude for all of these experiences and their resulting memories. Life is forever changing, but I can always count on the fact that there is something even brighter ahead. That is so exciting. You guys, this school year is gonna be such a good one. 
Goodbye summer. You treated me oh so well! 
Hello, Senior year! I'm ready for ya!

I love you all!
xx, Anne

Listen to the playlist I listened to while writing this post here


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)