Finding Motivation When You Feel Like Blah

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Good morning, beautiful friends. Oh my goodness, first semester is almost over!! Senior year is FLYING by. The end of semesters are always the hardest parts of the year. Sometimes I find it hard to really concentrate and get studying when the excitement of break & Christmas is in the back of my head. Let's be real, we're all in Christmas mode! I can definitely relate to having a hard time finding motivation for school or work related tasks, especially during the holiday season.  Today I'm here to help you say goodbye to that lazy mindset that we tend to fall into and hello to one that says, "LET'S GET THIS DONE."










TIP No.1: Dress for Success.
Personally, I find that I work harder when I'm not dressed casually. I think that the way I dress mirrors the way I work. That being said, if ya know you have a lot of studying to do, put on something that makes you feel confident. Get ready for the day before you begin to study. Take time to relax by maybe doing your hair/makeup etc. This totally ups my motivation levels!
Need a refresher while studying? Brush your teeth. Put on some perfume. This may seem silly but I promise it works & it gets you back on track.

TIP No.2: Switch Up Your Setting & Set Mini Goals
I find this tip to be SUPER helpful. First, pick out two or three studying locations that you know you work well in. For me, my three are Starbucks, by the fireplace, and in my room. Then set goals that coincide with your studying location. Mine would look something like this: 
1. Read my psych textbook at Starbucks
2. Take notes of what I read by my fireplace
3. Quiz myself by writing what I know down in my room
I find that I work so much more efficiently this way. It also makes studying for exams seem less daunting. 

TIP No.3: Simplify Info on Big Notecards
Sometimes the notes I take throughout the semester can be very overwhelming when I sit down to study and synthesize. It seems like there is so much information that I don't even know where to begin. That's why 4"x 6" index cards are a life saver (see pic above). I don't use them as flashcards, but as a way to break down info into a simpler form.  I try to steer away from writing sentences on the cards and just focus on key words that help me understand the concept. I also like drawing pictures or creating charts to help me remember as well. Breaking down information not only helps me better understand concepts I'm studying, but it helps me remember them better too!

TIP No. 4: BYE-BYE phone
I'm always listening to music while I'm studying,  so I can't really put my phone away, but I love the updated feature on iPhones designed for disabling your phone while driving. I use it when I study! This button is great because it not only stops notifications from coming through, but it also makes you confirm that you're not driving when you try to get into your phone. This is perfect when I am tempted to check something, but then my phone holds me accountable and make me rethink about what I'm doing before I make a huge mistake and become utterly distracted. We all know that just checking for a minute can turn into 20!

TIP No. 5: Do Something for Yourself 
Do something that you enjoy before or after you study. Whether it be talking to a friend, taking a bath or going for a drive... whatever it is, take time to do something that makes you happy.

You've got this, y'all!! You can do anything that you set your mind to! I believe in you!! 
Time to put your phone on driving mode & get studying!
Have a fabulous week.
xx, Anne


Connect with me!!












0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)